relentless (re-lent-less: adj. steady and persistent; unremitting).
When he gets something in his head, he can't let it go. He will talk about it, ask questions about it, badger us about it, and then talk about it some more.
So, on Tuesday we were headed into Las Vegas for ANOTHER appointment with Claire's hematologist and Eli asked me if we could go see a dinosaurtrex (aka dinosaur t-rex...he says it as if it was one word).
Me: "You mean go learn about them in a museum or something?"
Eli: "No. I want to go SEE the dinosaurtrexes."
Me: "Well, Eli, we can't go see any because there aren't anymore dinosaurs."
Eli: "Where are they?"
Me: "They all died."
Eli: "Why?"
Me: "Ummm...they all got sick and died."
Eli: "They could go to the dinosaurtrex doctor."
Me: "Good idea, but that didn't happen and so they all died."
Eli: "No, they didn't."
Me: "Yes, they did."
Eli: "No, they didn't. I kept an eye on them and they are alive."
Me: "Sorry buddy, but the dinosaurs all died. We can learn about dinosaurs and go see some dinosaur bones."
Eli: "I kept an eye on them...they aren't dead."
Me: "Yes, they are dead. Sorry."
Eli: "Are the dinosaurtrexes babies dead?"
Me: UGH..."Yes, all the dinosaurs died."
Eli: "Are the dinosaurtrexes mommies dead?"
Me: "Yes, they are and it is sad, but we can learn about them and that will be fun."
Eli: "Mom, they aren't dead. I kept an eye on them."
Me: "Let's talk about something else. Look out the window at the train!!!"
Eli: "I kept an eye on them and I took them far away where they would be safe."
Me: "Ummm...ok...if you say so."
Eli: "Mom, I don't want the dinosaurtrexes to be dead." (tear in his eye...voice cracking)
Me: "I am sorry you are sad. Would you like to go learn about dinosaurs?"
Eli: "Right now?"
Me: "No, some other time. We are going to Claire's doctor."
Eli: "Mom, they aren't dead. I kept an eye on them."
Me: "OK."
Eli: "Mom, can we pet the dinosaurtrexes bones?"
Me: "We will see."
Eli: "Mom, I love the dinosaurtrexes. I don't want them to be dead."
Me: "I know. It is sad."
Eli: "Mom, they aren't dead."
Kyle: "Eli, think about something else...you are driving me crazy."
That was not the end. He would not stop talking about it all the way to Vegas and we have been having this SAME conversation for 5 days. Literally...this same conversation all day, everyday...for 5 days. He won't let it die. His little 4 year old mind cannot wrap around the fact that there are no living dinosaurs on the earth. He is relentless. Poor kid. Poor me. I don't know what else to tell him. If he weren't so stinking cute, I would have gotten really annoyed by now.
LONG LIVE DINOSAURTREXES!!!!





5 comments:
Classic Eli! That is so funny. It would be annoying from most kids, but he's really genuine and sensitive underneath it all. I should really write down all the stuff he says in Sunbeams. He's always crackin me up, and then he'll say something really sweet about Jesus or his baby Claire. Love that kid!
It must be 4-year olds, because Alisha does the same thing (well, not dinosaurs). I finally get to the point where I'm nodding my head and saying "UH HUH" over and over and over and not listening to a word!
But he kept his eye on them! They can't be dead! (he he)!!
that picture! oh my!! what a sweet, sensitive boy. someday when he is a compassionate vet and making a lot of money you'll be glad that he had such a tender side for the creatures of the earth.
I love this kid! I was cracking up when I was reading this. Austin says Eli always plays with the toy dinosaurs at school. Must be his thing right now!
Post a Comment